Saturday 27 November 2010

Losing Marbles


"I was sure I left my bag by the sofa when I came in. Have you seen my bag, son?"

"No, Gran, are you sure that's what you did with it?"

"Well I was but here I must be wrong 'cause there's no sign of it."

"Have you checked in the kitchen? Maybe you left it in the kitchen."

"Oh do you think so? Do you know you might be right."

She bustles out of the living room and into the kitchen. Her bag is on top of the kitchen table. She picks it up and returns to the living room.

"Ok, now... where's my glasses? I could've sworn I left them on the arm of the chair."

"Well, they're not on the arm of the chair are they, Gran?  Perhaps you left them on the sideboard in the hall on the way to the kitchen?"

"Perhaps I did, what would I do without you, eh?"

She shuffles into the hall and finds her glasses on the sideboard before returning to the living room.

"Now, let's see," she puts her glasses on and pulls her purse from her bag. "How much did you say I owed your mum?"

"Twenty pounds, Gran."

"Are you sure, son? I don't remember her paying for my shopping, are you sure I owe her twenty pounds?"

"Yes, Gran, I'm sure. You seem awfully forgetful today, what with your bag and your glasses. Trust me."

"I might just ring your mum and double check."

He takes the handset from her and replaces it on the cradle.

"No need, Gran, you phoned her to check once already today, you know how she worries about you. You don't want her to worry do you?"

"No, son, I guess you're right, ok twenty pounds then," she says as she pulls a twenty pound note from her purse and hands it to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment