Monday 22 November 2010

A Leopard Can't Change His Spots


I have been in a coma
For three years.
Twelve seasons have come
And gone
While my heart
Has hidden away.
But now, the self-induced sleep
That has sheilded me
From the gravity of my grief
Has come to its end.

My heart is re-emerging.

The past, blotted out,
By amnesia,
Is but a foggy haze -
I hold only an image
Of someone
Who used to be me
But whom I no longer
Resemble

Everything feels
Routinely alien.
I no longer fit the mould.
I have been the subject of
Metamorphosis.

I am a lion that thinks
Herself a leopard.
I try to shed my spots
But they cling to me -
Out damned spot!
Out I say!

Lady Macbeth is loopy,
Lady Macbeth is loopy,
Lady, look, there's nothing there!

For you were guilty, yes,
But another took your stains,
For you were guilty, yes,
But you've been pardoned from your shame.

So, that hazy, spotty leopard
Can't be catching up with you, you see -
For, now you are a lion, yes,
That's who you're supposed to be.

1 comment: