Thursday 17 March 2011

Sonnet on a Sick Mother


Something in her eyes said she already knew
the dreaded fate that she could not escape.
Those eyes and her skin with their yellow hue
and her clothes and the way they did gape.
She had lost a good few inches in height
as well as most of the hair on her head,
that didn’t stop her from keeping things light
as she lay dwarfed in that hospital bed.
But she was strong in character alone,
her broken body could hold her no more,
the blood in her veins turned cold as stone -
her heart stopped beating, and mine hit the floor.
But now she is at peace, restored and whole
in a new body that matches her soul.

1 comment:

  1. You might have noticed that I have changed the third last line about six times... I think I am finally happy with it - I haven't got strict iambic pentameter going on but the other attempts definately didn't flow for one reason or another... I think it is officially complete!

    ReplyDelete