Saturday 5 February 2011

Loss Changes Everything

I've been experimenting a bit with line breaks and stanza breaks based on some of what we've been taught in the poetry class I'm taking. I'm trying at the moment to write what I feel and then see where I can use the "rules" to make it more structured rather than let structure and form get in the way of what I want to say. I'm not sure what the result is here, or if I've got the point that was being taught, it just seemed more interesting than writing plain old couplets. What do you think?

Loss Changes Everything

You sing "Love Changes Everything"
but respectfully I disagree
see, I'd say
loss
changes everything;
loss has changed
everything
for me.

Your voice was a perpetual soundtrack
underscoring our lives
everyday.
Your endless covers and warbley vibrato
brought me nothing
but
endless
dismay.

But I find myself
strangely missing that soundtrack
that we switched off
in two-thousand-and-seven,
when we left her
alone
in the graveyard
and went home in the car she had driven

the CD player unusually
silent,
a great sadness
fell
on us all
A huge elephant travelling with us -
the foundations
of a mighty, great wall

From then,
nothing
could be the same,
there was no way to
turn
the clock back
I never imagined I'd say it,
but I miss that perpetual soundtrack.

I miss the one who insisted on playing it
and the way I expected our lives to be.
Yes, I'd say
loss
changes everything;
loss has changed
everything
for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment